My new book, By Duty Bound (Honor’s Path 2), will soon be available for pre-order on Amazon beginning on August 3rd, 2018, until it is released on September 3rd, 2018. When I released my first book, In Honor’s Shadow (Honor’s Path 1), I gave people who joined my Fan Newsletter a free copy of the book.
I’ve decided to do something similar this time, giving everyone a chance to receive a FREE pre-release copy of By Duty Bound before the book is officially available. Interested? Then read on!
What do I need to do to qualify for this promotion?
There are two things you need to do to qualify for the promotion. These can be done in any order, but both must be completed before midnight, August 21st, 2018 (Central Time Zone).
1) You must write a review of my book In Honor’s Shadow and email a screenshot of the review to me at email@example.com.
2) Be signed up for my Fan Newsletter (if you aren’t, you can do so HERE). Your copy of By Duty Bound will be received through the newsletter.
Remember: The email you use to send the screenshot should be the SAME one that is signed up for the newsletter; otherwise, you may not get your book.
Is this just a scheme to get good reviews?
Short answer: No.
Longer answer: Although I would be elated to get nothing but positive reviews, I realize that is impossible. Different people have different tastes. Any honest review of my book will qualify for this promotion. If you love my writing, great! If not, I am sorry to hear that; however, your review is still a chance for me to learn where I could improve.
When do I need to send in my screenshot/join your Fan Newsletter?
You need to both send your screenshot and sign up for the newsletter before midnight, August 21st, 2018 (Central Time Zone).
Where should I write my review?
On either the place that you bought the book from, or on Goodreads.com. You ARE NOT being asked to write two reviews. One will do, and it can be in either location.
What does my screenshot need to show?
The best way to answer that question is to start with a screenshot of a review I’ve written (for a different book).
Some things to notice about this screenshot:
1) It includes the full text of my review. Your review does NOT have to be this long; however, your screenshot must show the entire text of the review. If, for some reason, your review is too long to capture in a single screenshot, you may send multiple screenshots or provide a link the your review along with your screenshot.
2) If possible, there should be some proof that the review belongs to the account you are logged into. For example, in the above screenshot you will see the review specifically says it is “My Activity.” You can get something similar by going to “Your Account” in Amazon, then selecting “Profile” under the “Ordering and Shopping” preferences to see a list of reviews you have created (see screenshot below).
3) Your review must be for the book In Honor’s Shadow, and must appear in a digital store where it is being sold or on Goodreads.com.
4) If your screenshot has privileged information, feel free to redact that information by cropping, covering, blurring, etc. Without obscuring the text of the review itself.
Where should I send the screenshot of my review?
Email a screenshot of the review to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can I sign up for your Fan Newsletter?
You can sign up for my Fan Newsletter HERE.
How can I review “In Honor’s Shadow” if I don’t own a copy?
The easy answer is to buy your own copy of the book. The price of In Honor’s Shadow will be only $0.99 USD for the duration of this promotion, and if you check THIS PAGE you will find links to everywhere you can buy the book. Most retailers also allow you to download the beginning of the book as a free sample. Feel free to do so if you are unsure you will enjoy the book enough to finish it.
I wrote a review of your book before this promotion. Can I use that?
Of course! This does not need to be a new review, just a review that you have written at some point. So long as I receive your screenshot before midnight August 21th, 2018, you are in the clear.
Who can participate?
Anyone may enter. The only restriction is that they must be signed up to my Fan Newsletter and they must have sent an email to email@example.com with a screenshot of their review of my book. If you know someone who might be interested, please do point them my way!
What will I be getting? What file types will I receive?
Those who take part in this promotion will be provided with a pre-release version of By Duty Bound (Honor’s Path 2) in any of the following formats:
- Mobi – used by the Amazon Kindle application and Kindle e-reader. The Kindle app is available for free on both Android and iPhone, and you can download a version for PC or Mac on Amazon’s webpage HERE.
- Epub – used by most other programs, including iBooks and Barns&Nobel’s Nook reader.
- PDF – usable by any device with a PDF reader.
These books will be provided free of DRM, allowing you to create backups and use them as you see fit.
Please note: The the book you receive will be a PRE-RELEASE version, and as such will likely have minor differences between it and the official release. If you discover the file you receive has major problems (such as bad formatting), inform me and the issue will be addressed as quickly as practical.
How will the materials sent to you be used?
The screenshots received for this promotion are only used to confirm that you posted a review as required, and shall not be used for anything else. They will be deleted after the promotion has ended.
If I feel you have written a particularly good review, I may choose to share the text of the review on my blog, in my newsletter, or in other areas (such as in the book information on store pages). If I do this, the review will be attributed to you (by the username associated with the review), and either:
- the complete text of the review will be shared, or
- a smaller snippet of the review will be shared with a link back to the original review.
Materials received will not be used for any other purpose without first securing the explicit permission of those who provided them.
When will I get my free book?
You shall receive an email through my Fan Newsletter on August 22nd, 2018 (give or take a day) with links to download your ebook. The download links shall be active for a period of 10 days, during which you may download your free book.
What if I don’t want to be signed up for your newsletter?
You may unsubscribe from the Newsletter at any time. There is a link at the end of every newsletter that can be used to do so.
I do hope you will read one or two newsletters (most of the time, there is only one a month); however, there is nothing preventing you from unsubscribing the moment you get the email with your download links.
Can I still purchase By Duty Bound normally?
You do not have to; however, this is possible. You can even have both the pre-release version and the retail version on the same device. To the best of my knowledge, they will not conflict! There are even some advantages to buying the retail version, as some retailers will allow you to update your ebook if I make changes in the future to correct errors that I may have missed in the initial release.
Final Legal Information
The ebooks you receive are provided “as is” with no warranty, explicit or implied, except as required by law. Upon receiving the email with the download links to your ebook, the links will be active for you to download for ten (10) days. Failure to download your ebook during this window will forfeit your license to the files in question.
Please email me with additional questions and concerns HERE.